Here follows a short description of the Kerio Connect logs, and how to use them:
Debug Debug (debug information) is a special log which can be used to monitor certain kinds of information, especially for problem-solving. As default, it displays information relating to starting and stopping of Kerio MailServer, lists the services and the addresses and ports used for connection. Other information relates to services and processes used to operate the server. The other information describe services and processes which handle the server.
Too much information could be confusing and impractical if displayed all at the same time. Usually, you only need to display information relating to a particular service or function.
Debug log settings
For the above reasons the Debug log allows you to deﬁne what information it will display. This can be done using the Messages option in the context menu of the Debug window.
The Logged messages dialog box where several options to enable particular logs are available:
The Services section allow logging any information associated with services started in Kerio MailServer: SMTP Server detailed information about communication between clients and the SMTP server. This log can be helpful when you experience problems with MX records. IMAP Server — detailed information about communication between clients and the IMAP server. The log also provides information on communication via the MAPI interface.
detailed information about communication between clients and the POP3 server. Together with IMAP server session and HTTP server session) helps to solve problems with retrieving email from the mailboxes.
communication between clients and the HTTP server for the Kerio WebMail interface.
detailed monitoring of communication between clients and the LDAP server, and search for contacts in the database.
detailed information about communication between clients and the newsserver.
The Message Delivery section provides options for logging while message delivery is in progress:
- Queue Processing — processing of the Mail Queue (sending and receiving messages, re-scheduling, etc.)
- Remote POP3 Download — retrieval of remote POP3 mailboxes (Kerio MailServer in the role of a POP3 client) and sorting rules (when a message is received or downloaded from a remote POP3 mailbox). The Remote POP3 download log together with Alias Expansion can be helpful when you experience problems with domain mailbox.
- SMTP Client — sending outgoing mail (communication between Kerio MailServer and the relay SMTP server or the target domain’s MailServer). The log includes commands and responses of the client and the server ordered by time when individual events happened. Therefore, this log can be very helpful for resolving problems regarding email sending.
- Mailing List Processing — mailing lists monitoring (logins, logouts, message sending, moderators performance, etc.).
- Alias Expansion — processing of aliases (during reception of a message or its download from a remote POP3 mailbox). The Alias processing log is used together with Remote POP3 download to solve problems with domain mailbox sorting.
- Sieve Filters — ﬁltering messages according to user ﬁlters.
The Content Filters section includes options for enabling/disabling logs tracing antivirus and antispam control:
- Antivirus Checking — communication with the antivirus program, processing of indi- vidual message attachments. This log can be used if the infected messages are not detected by an antivirus program and are delivered to users.
- Spam Filter — the option logs spam rating of each message which has passed through the Kerio MailServer’s antispam ﬁlter.
- SPF Record Lookup — the option gathers information of SPF queries sent to SMTP servers. It can be used for solving problems with SPF check.
- SpamAssassin Processing — the option enables tracing of processes occurred during SpamAssassin antispam tests.
The Message Store section enables logging of operations associated with data store, searching, backups, etc.:
- Message Folder Operation — operations with user and public folders (opening, saving messages, closing) - This log can be used for example to resolve problems regarding mapping of public folders.
- Searching and Sorting — this log includes operations that server performs while searching in email, calendars, contacts and tasks folders. Also operations performed during sorting (e.g. alphabetical sorting of email messages, sorting by date of reception, etc.) are logged.
- Quota and Login Statistics— the log may be helpful especially where a problem regarding user quotas and related issues occurs.
- Store Backup — the report lists the backup process, browsing and backing up of all folders. Use this report to be sure if the backup process is correct and if it was not interrupted.
- Messages decoding — this log may be helpful where problems regarding decoding of TNEF or uuencode messages occur.
HTTP Server Modules
The HTTP Server Modules provides options that enable logging information regarding traﬃc over an HTTP interface:
- WebDAV Server Requests — the log lists all operations related to the WebDAV interface. It is useful especially for solving communication issues between Kerio MailServer and MS Entourage, NotifyLink, Kerio Sync Connector and iCal clients.
- SyncML Synchronization — this option reports any activity that occurred between Kerio MailServerand Kerio Synchronization Plug-in during synchronization.
- PHP Engine Messages — the log gathers information related to the Kerio WebMail interface. This information is an extension to the Error log and it can be used for troubleshooting of Kerio WebMail issues.
- ActiveSync Synchronization — this log lists ActiveSync traﬃc performed between mobile devices and Kerio MailServer.
The Auxiliary Modules section provides the following logging options:
- User Authentication — external authentication of users (NT domain, Kerberos, PAM)
- Network Connections and SSL — establishing connections to remote servers (on the TCP level), DNS requests, SSL encrypting, etc.
- DNS Resolver— ﬁnding target domain SMTP servers through DNS MX record lookup
- Directory Service Lookup — queries to the internal user database (Active Directory). This log can be used in case of problems with import of users from local domains.
- Update Checker Activity — monitors communication with the update.kerio.com server where new versions of Kerio MailServer are stored.
- Thread Pool Activity — describes establishing, progress and closing of any threads processed by Kerio MailServer.
- Administration Console Connections — logs connections and activity of the Kerio Administration Console.